Sometimes, a couple faces difficulties in their marriage, but may not be ready to officially file for divorce. Although there is no official status that recognizes married couples as “legally separated” in Pennsylvania, a separation agreement may be a logical option to protect the personal and financial interests of individuals who are considering a divorce.

A separation agreement serves as a written contract that outlines the rights and responsibilities of each spouse during martial separation and the same issues that would be negotiated during divorce proceedings. A separation agreement often helps to clarify — and eliminate any misunderstandings relating to — important divorce issues, such as alimony/spousal support, child support, child custody and living arrangements.

In Pennsylvania, since two people can be separated even if they still reside in the same household, the date of marital separation often has a dramatic impact on the valuation and potential distribution of marital assets. The experienced family attorneys at Williams Family Law are available to help you to establish the date of your martial separation by developing a written separation agreement and litigating these separation issues in a family court.

If you are considering a divorce or formal separation from your spouse, Williams Family Law, P.C., is available to help you with creating an effective separation agreement.

Our Value: Drafting High-Quality Separation Agreements in Bucks County

At Williams Family Law, our family lawyers offer extensive experience which allows you to have peace of mind knowing that you will have a high-quality separation agreement. The question of date of your separation can be very fact-specific. The only way to decide if you are officially separated — and determine exactly when you were separated — is to consult with an experienced family lawyer who has litigated the issue in a family law court. We have litigated the issue of separation on many occasions in various Pennsylvania counties.

Contact Us Regarding Your Need For A Separation Agreement in Bucks County

If you are considering a divorce or formal separation from your spouse and you need assistance with drafting a separation agreement, Williams Family Law is here to help. We can also assist you with issues related to child custody, alimony/spousal support or child support issues. To speak with an experienced family law attorney, please contact our office.