Often, people come to the firm asking the question “Can I rework my child’s custody arrangement?” As the intent of that arrangement is to create a scenario that best fits the needs and interests of a child, if those needs change, or if a situation arises where the child’s welfare is in jeopardy, it is most certainly possible to modify a custody order in Pennsylvania.

Valid reasons to consider a new custody order:

  • A parent’s need to relocate, such as for a job
  • When one parent frequently disregards the terms of the present custody order
  • A parent’s substance abuse issues, or adverse mental health that affects his or her behavior
  • The death of a parent
  • Problems or issues with a child’s development, academic performance or cognitive health
  • When a child is unsafe or in danger
  • The child is getting older and his or her needs change

Either parent can request to modify a custody order by filing a petition for modification of custody. The burden of proof for establishing the need for the change falls on the petitioning parent.

An attorney with experience in custody matters in Pennsylvania will know how to best represent you and take steps to protect your parental rights. Contact the experienced Bucks County family law attorneys of Williams Family Law at 215-340-2207 or email info@bucksfamilylawyers.com.