Williams Family Law, P.C.
Phone: 215-340-2207
Spousal Support / Alimony Pendente Lite

After separating and/or during the divorce process, one spouse may need to provide monthly economic support to the other spouse towards living expenses and in some cases towards attorney’s fees. Spousal support can be appropriate in some cases even if no divorce has been filed. If you have questions about establishing an order for spousal support or alimony pendente lite, the experienced family law attorneys at Williams Family Law, P.C., are here to help you obtain the financial assistance that you need or to ensure that you are paying the proper amount of support. 

At Williams Family Law, we support our clients with a wide range of family law issues, including those involving spousal support and alimony pendente lite. Our clients are provided with direct access to seasoned attorneys who are known for their extensive litigation experience and success. We pride ourselves on our reputation as leaders in the legal profession and attribute much of that success to the wealth of local knowledge we offer to our clients. We are dedicated to offering experienced guidance, compassionate advice, powerful advocacy, and sharing our proficient knowledge of the local courts, judges and attorneys while seeking the forums and solutions most suited to each client’s individual needs.

The Basics of Spousal Support / Alimony Pendente Lite

Spousal support is available after separation even if neither party has filed a divorce complaint. In determining whether a spousal support award is appropriate, the court will consider the living situation of the parties and whether the filing party’s reasonable needs are being met. There are some defenses to spousal support which we can explain to you to determine if an award of spousal support is warranted. 

Alimony pendente lite (APL) is available after the filing of a divorce complaint but before the parties are divorced. The purpose of APL is to allow the income-dependent spouse to meet their reasonable needs and have funds to litigate the divorce on par with the income dominant spouse. The amount of the monthly APL award is determined based upon a formula. If there are substantial changes in either party’s income, it may be necessary to seek a modification of an APL order. APL issues become decidedly more complex when dealing with self-employed individuals and individuals with non-cash compensation.

Our family law attorneys are recognized for their strong knowledge regarding complex compensation issues and extensive litigation experience and success. With Williams Family Law as your legal representative, it is our goal to provide you with responsive and competent legal assistance while handling these complex issues.

Contact Us Regarding Your Spousal Support / Alimony Pendente Lite Needs in Bucks County

Whether you are seeking spousal support or alimony pendente lite or your spouse is seeking it from you, the dedicated family law attorneys at Williams Family Law will provide you with the necessary legal guidance to ensure your financial stability. To discuss your spousal support/alimony pendente lite needs with an experienced family law attorney, please contact our office.

Salzer Presents at Bucks County Bar Association Annual Bench Bar Conference
September 24, 2018
Shauna Quigley Joins Williams Family Law
August 8, 2018
Jeff Williams Discusses “Double Dipping” in Divorce At Pennsylvania Bar Association Summer Meeting
July 27, 2018
Williams Family Law Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers
June 4, 2018
Williams Family Law Partner Co-Authors Book on Divorce
August 17, 2017Jeffrey M. Williams Organizes AAML PA Spring Retreat
April 17, 2017Williams Family Law Welcomes Attorney Melanie J. Wender
July 18, 2016Divorce Attorney Jeffrey M. Williams Named Secretary American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
July 18, 2013Bucks County Family Law Firm Williams Family Law Ranked as U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers 2013 'Best Law Firm'
November 2012
  • Jeffrey M. Williams
  • Susan J. Smith
  • Robert J. Salzer
  • Lynelle A. Gleason
  • Melanie J. Wender
  • Shauna L. Quigley
    Frequently Asked Questions
  • My father passed away five years ago and I received a large inheritance. Is my spouse entitled to any of this inheritance as part of a divorce action?
  • I helped to raise my stepchild and now my spouse and I are divorcing. Do I have any custodial rights to my non-biological child?
  • I just filed for divorce. Can I move out with my kids immediately?
  • My spouse will not consent to a divorce simply to avoid paying alimony. Can the court grant me a divorce without mutual consent?
  • Is my prenuptial agreement still valid if I caught my spouse cheating?