Williams Family Law, P.C.
Phone: 215-340-2207
Separation Agreements

Sometimes, a couple faces difficulties in their marriage, but may not be ready to officially file for divorce. Although there is no official status that recognizes married couples as “legally separated” in Pennsylvania, a separation agreement may be a logical option to protect the personal and financial interests of individuals who are considering a divorce.

A separation agreement serves as a written contract that outlines the rights and responsibilities of each spouse during martial separation and the same issues that would be negotiated during divorce proceedings. A separation agreement often helps to clarify — and eliminate any misunderstandings relating to — important divorce issues, such as alimony/spousal support, child support, child custody and living arrangements.

In Pennsylvania, since two people can be separated even if they still reside in the same household, the date of marital separation often has a dramatic impact on the valuation and potential distribution of marital assets. The experienced family attorneys at Williams Family Law are available to help you to establish the date of your martial separation by developing a written separation agreement and litigating these separation issues in a family court.

If you are considering a divorce or formal separation from your spouse, Williams Family Law, P.C., is available to help you with creating an effective separation agreement.

Our Value: Drafting High-Quality Separation Agreements in Bucks County

At Williams Family Law, our family lawyers offer extensive experience which allows you to have peace of mind knowing that you will have a high-quality separation agreement. The question of date of your separation can be very fact-specific. The only way to decide if you are officially separated — and determine exactly when you were separated — is to consult with an experienced family lawyer who has litigated the issue in a family law court. We have litigated the issue of separation on many occasions in various Pennsylvania counties.

Contact Us Regarding Your Need For A Separation Agreement in Bucks County

If you are considering a divorce or formal separation from your spouse and you need assistance with drafting a separation agreement, Williams Family Law is here to help. We can also assist you with issues related to child custody, alimony/spousal support or child support issues. To speak with an experienced family law attorney, please contact our office.

Salzer Presents at Bucks County Bar Association Annual Bench Bar Conference
September 24, 2018
Shauna Quigley Joins Williams Family Law
August 8, 2018
Jeff Williams Discusses “Double Dipping” in Divorce At Pennsylvania Bar Association Summer Meeting
July 27, 2018
Williams Family Law Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers
June 4, 2018
Williams Family Law Partner Co-Authors Book on Divorce
August 17, 2017Jeffrey M. Williams Organizes AAML PA Spring Retreat
April 17, 2017Williams Family Law Welcomes Attorney Melanie J. Wender
July 18, 2016Divorce Attorney Jeffrey M. Williams Named Secretary American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
July 18, 2013Bucks County Family Law Firm Williams Family Law Ranked as U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers 2013 'Best Law Firm'
November 2012
February 2017 E-Newsletter
Child Support Guidelines Vary Widely State to State
September 26, 2018
More Women Paying Support
July 25, 2018
Finances After Divorce
February 15, 2018
  • Jeffrey M. Williams
  • Susan J. Smith
  • Robert J. Salzer
  • Lynelle A. Gleason
  • Melanie J. Wender
  • Shauna L. Quigley
    Frequently Asked Questions
  • What is the date of separation, and why is it important?
  • My spouse moved out of the house when he filed for divorce. Can I change the locks and alarm code so he can’t get in?
  • My father passed away five years ago and I received a large inheritance. Is my spouse entitled to any of this inheritance as part of a divorce action?
  • I helped to raise my stepchild and now my spouse and I are divorcing. Do I have any custodial rights to my non-biological child?
  • I just filed for divorce. Can I move out with my kids immediately?
  • My spouse will not consent to a divorce simply to avoid paying alimony. Can the court grant me a divorce without mutual consent?
  • Is my prenuptial agreement still valid if I caught my spouse cheating?
  • My ex-spouse and I share custody of my children. Can we both claim them as dependents on our income tax returns?